Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Maurice Sendak - RIP

Growing up, I had 3 loves: my cat, strawberries, and my books.  As I got older, my love for the latter turned into a full blown hobby of collecting children's books.  With the birth of the Internet, came the opportunity to expand my collection and even sell some of it for profit.  It also was the birth of my online nic: KidLit!  I even got jobs and joined activities that surrounded my love for the written word for small people.  Eventually, I furthered that love by having children of my own and sharing with them, my collection.  Many of said books have been loved beyond what most would consider a usable/readable state of being.  For that reason, I have a shelf of "untouchables" comprised of my favorite 5 authors: Dr. Seuss (a.k.a. Theo LeSieg), Shel Silverstein, Eric Carle, Jon Scieszka (added about 10 years ago), and Maurice Sendak. Needless to say, the news of Mr. Sendak's passing today was quite a blow.



It might have been due to my recent medicine debacle (which I meant to update about today before dear ole' Maurice and P&G threw a kink in my day) but, I cried when I heard of his passing.  He was truly a great.  Most of you know his very famous "Where the Wild Things Are" and with good reason. Fabulous book.  However, there were several others.  Even one of controversy.  Really cute controversy. (sh! It showed a boys winky!)  Yes, this is one book the schools wouldn't allow in their libraries.  Such a pity.  Here is hoping even the uptight school district members, librarians, teachers and even parents that gave this book the reject stamp, had the open mindedness to share this book with their children outside the school setting.

The Night Kitchen:


If not, it was their loss.


RIP Maurice and Thank You.

No comments: