Saturday, September 29, 2012

The World's Largest Thermometer! Finally.

Welcome back!  Seems my posts about Baker, CA have brought quite a bit of attention to my blog.  Whether you landed here in your search for aliens, beef jerky, or extremely large (and rather elusive) thermometers... GREETINGS!  And welcome.

Ok, back to Baker.  (If this is your first time here and you actually want the back story, you can start reading here.  However, it is not absolutely necessary.)

Before we get to the World's Largest Thermometer! I feel the need to mention another stop in Baker.  One that made Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" featured on the Food Network, The Mad Greek. Signs were everywhere clamoring for my attention stating they were "World Famous." However, I was not that hungry, I am not a huge fan of Greek food, and I had my sites set on bigger things. Much. Bigger. Although, in hindsight, I could kick myself for not at least taking pictures of the place.  But, like I said, I was preoccupied. That and I had my Mom's voice nagging me about the whole "Ball of Twine" thing.

SO, HERE IT IS:


THE WORLD'S LARGEST THERMOMETER!!!

 I know. I know.  So many questions. Let me toss some answers out there.  No, that thing with the circles isn't the thermometer, the skinny rod looking thing next to it is. That big long boxy thing next to it is the temperature display.  No, I don't know what the temp was because either it wasn't hot enough to register, too hot to register (which I doubt) or it wasn't working. That, or I'm just blind. *shrug* No, that isn't haze. It was crystal clear that day. It was the filter on my camera. If by "filter" you mean smudge on the lens and if by "camera" you mean my crap ass phone.  And finally, no, I was not completely disappointed.  Why?

Because of this man!


(picture taken by Bruce's filter free camera)
No, your eyes do NOT deceive you.  That is indeed Bob's Big Boy!!!!
And my awkward children.
Yo! Big Boy! Stop starin' at my daughter like that.
I could not believe it! Bob's Big Boy! I was beside myself! I didn't think there were any left! As a kid, I lived right around the corner from one and had to pass it's (extremely large) Big Boy statue on the way to my friend's house. This one is quite a bit smaller than the one I remember, but ahhh... the memories.  Unfortunately, we didn't have the time or the appetite to stop in for a bite. We had already wasted a hour or more buying alien jerky and making big obvious tourists of ourselves.  Considering we still had half a day's worth of travel ahead of us, we needed to get back on the road.

I consoled myself by taking more pictures.






I don't know about you, but I think the smu...errr...filter made the pictures look more retro. Ya.  No? Oh. Eh, oh well. 

So, that was The World's Largest *cough* Thermometer.  Probably not what I built it up to be. However, I loved every minute of it and just had to share.  Why? Because stopping at an ultra cheesy, touristy, "Oh my God, Really?" pits stop on side of the highway, claiming to be "The Home of The World's _________," has long been a kitschy, trappy, clique dream of mine since I can remember. (thanks mom.)  It even made it on my insane bucket list.

A list so insane, I just might have to share it with you someday. ;0)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard a couple of guys talking about this in the New York subway so I looked it up online and found your page. Thanks. I thought I was right and you confirmed my thoughts. Thanks for the work you've put into this. I'd love to save this and share with my friends.

Anonymous said...

I want to change my Blogger/Blogspot background into a picture I want instead of the ugly plain ones that provide you with.. . I tried looking up on google how to change it but it only came up with how to change the background with the old Blogger. . . HELP!.

Unknown said...

Well, not sure how to help. This background, as cute as it is, is one of plain ones that comes with the blogger/blogspot package. I don't think you can upload a pic to use. Although that would be cool.

Thanks for stopping by. ;0)